For scientific research purposes, the Caisse Nationale d’Assurance Maladie (CNAM) provides researchers with data from its reimbursement database, the Système National des Données de Santé (SNDS). These databases cover healthcare consumption, such as drug purchases, consultations with physicians and other healthcare professionals, biological and radiographic examinations, and hospitalizations. It is supplied by social security organizations and hospitals, and is exhaustive.
Access to this data is governed by the Healthcare System Modernization Act of January 26, 2016, currently in force. Under this law, studies based on the use of pseudonymized SNDS data are compulsorily declared on the Health Data Hub platform (HDH – https://www.health-data-hub.fr/ ).In addition, data processors shall comply with the following terms of this Law:
“Data from the national health data system may not be processed for any of the following purposes:
- Promotion of products mentioned in II of article L. 5311-1 to health professionals or health facilities;
- The exclusion of coverage from insurance contracts and the modification of insurance contributions or premiums for an individual or a group of individuals presenting the same risk.”
As a CRO, CEMKA carries out studies on all the databases making up the SNDS, and in particular the following:
- PMSI (Programme de médicalisation des systèmes d’information): medico-administrative database managed by the Agence Technique de l’Information sur l’Hospitalisation (ATIH) since 2000. It records the activity of all health care facilities;
- SNIIRAM (Système National d’Information Inter Régimes de l’Assurance Maladie – National Health Insurance Inter-Scheme Information System): CNAM’s medico-administrative database, which records all reimbursements for healthcare consumption in the outpatient setting (purchases of drugs from community pharmacies, consultations, biological testing and X-ray examinations, etc.).
- ESND (Échantillon du Système National des Données de Santé – National Health Data System Sample): this is a representative sample that collects data on outpatient care (SNIIRAM) and hospitals (PMSI) in 2% of the population present in the main SNDS database.
In this section, you’ll find a list of studies carried out by Cemka. These studies are also referenced on the HDH platform.
Your rights with regard to your personal data:
To exercise their right to access and rectify data, and their right to object to and limit the processing of such data, individuals may send their request, providing proof of identity by any means, to the director of the Plateforme des Données de Santé or to the director of the compulsory health insurance body to which they belong: the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM).
The individuals concerned may also submit a complaint with the Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertés (CNIL – https://www.cnil.fr/fr ), 3 Place de Fontenoy, 75007 Paris.